Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Before I forget.

I am suddenly in the mood to figure out two questions....

'Is altruism real?' and 'What makes killing an enemy combatant in war different from murder?'

The first question keeps going around my mind in circles, making my brain dizzy, hovering around a position based on liminality and the Hegelian dialectic. I need an Anna for this argument as I am sure that she is one hundred percent on the altruism is non-existent side.

The second question just keeps coming up for me because of the news and the fact that I have too many friends and family in the military. My immediate reflex judgement is that murder of a sentient being is always that with the exception of self-defense. However, the U.S. has a volunteer military and self-defense doesn't seem a reasonable validation for killing if a killer chooses to put themself in harms way.

I need people to bounce ideas off of...   

No comments:

Post a Comment